Group of six people huddling together and smiling © 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
An effective way to open a unit or topic is to introduce a topic or problem to the class and allow the learner’s to flesh out the details with through a cooperative and collaborative discussion.
- Entire class is involved
- Constructively irons out complicated problems or ideas
- Instructor can gauge learners’ previous knowledge on a subject
- Lead the discussion (usually)
- Determine the topic/question
- Assign prerequisite reading if necessary
- Encourage participation from all learners
- Keep the discussion focused
- Determine recording method
- Come prepared by reading or deliberating on the material to be discussed
- Provide ideas/comments
- Respect other learners’ opinions and ideas
Pattison, P., & Day, R. (2006). Instruction Skills Workshop (ISW) Handbook for Participants. Vancouver: The Instructional Skills Workshop International Advisory Committee.